Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Analog Kid

Twas an August afternoon. I was laying in the grass, Listen to the music in the amphitheater on the adjacent hill. It moved me almost to tears, Wishing i could hear it for the rest of my life. I felt the need to move people in the way that band has. I had never heard anything like this before that day. As the weeks went by i began to discover musicians i never thought existed. John Coltrane and Charles Mingus, Genesis and Pink Floyd.I was searching for the band that touched me some months before. I met a girl one day waiting for the local bus en-route to the downtown music district. She was captivating in most every way possible and it was moments later i noticed her cassette player blaring the song i'd heard on the hill. I quickly tapped her on the shoulder with little response. It took at least 8 tries to get her to notice me. She had a furious look in her eyes, So i quickly asked "Excuse me, Could you tell me what band that is?" Nearly unresponsive she muttered "it's The Holy Triumvirate, Rush" A steady voice spilled from my lips asking if it could borrow the tape. Surprised i took such an interest in the music, She handed it to me with a business card on the side and said "call me when you want me to get it back." Five blocks before Stonehenge Records the radiant woman I'd gotten the tape from took off without a handshake or hug, smiling all the way to the door. Inside Stonehenge, I asked the owner to put the tape on and slipped into a distant reality on the sofa. Bright colors filled my young fragile mind. My heart was racing to the beat. When the tape was over i opened my eyes to a Goddess of Rock. The same woman from the bus, with her voice quivering, asked "Would you maybe want to go get a cup of coffee?". It was then that i believed in the spirit of music...

No comments:

Post a Comment